Executive Sous Chef
Edmonton Economic Development Corporation (EEDC) cultivates the energy, innovation and investment needed to build a prosperous and resilient Edmonton economy.
EEDC staff embody the five cultural values of the organization; Public Stewardship, Selfless Approach, Lead The Way, Make An Impact, and Caring For One Another. Our people are city builders who embody the spirit of EEDC and Edmonton; open, inventive, courageous, cooperative and willing to take a risk. In recognition of this work and focus on our people and culture, we were recently recognized as one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
Edmonton EXPO Centre is a 522,000-square foot facility in central Edmonton designed for large trade and consumer shows, conventions, and special events. The versatile infrastructure supports events from large-scale trade and consumer shows, to conferences and private social events all while maintaining a personal service approach. The Edmonton Expo Centre is ready to revolutionize events with clarity, enthusiasm and success.
At the Edmonton EXPO Centre we are passionate culinarians who combine our devotion for the details, unbridled creativity, and commitment to our guests in delivering experiences worth celebrating. We are seeking an Executive Sous Chef who has a comprehensive knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, high volume production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation to share this passion.
Under the direction of the Executive Chef the Executive Sous Chef supervises, organizes, controls, evaluates and coordinates the activities of the Sous Chefs and Senior Chef de Party to execute culinary service to multiple events simultaneously at the Edmonton EXPO Centre. In this role you will also be responsible for the planning, ordering, preparation and presentation of food.
- Hire, train coach and develop a successful and enthusiastic team
- Motivate team through recognition, coaching and assigning tasks using their strengths and skillset
- Lead by example to create a positive a work environment and moral, by providing positive, encouraging guidance to the kitchen staff members
- Works closely with direct reports to grow and develop strong departmental leadership.
Culinary & Kitchen Management
- Manage food quality and productivity to meet operational demands ensuring expectations are met by keeping detailed records. Provide detailed weekly event planning forecasts to assist with scheduling and preparation.
- Manage scheduling in accordance with needs and budget
- Assist the Executive Chef to make sure the food is prepared correctly and safely
- Oversee the control of food cost that are regulated by the Executive Chef
- Supervises all food preparation, presentation, color, aroma and texture to ensure quality and compliance to EXPO recipes and standards
- Help the Executive Chef to create and build Menus for special events
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment by arranging for repairs and preventative maintenance of work equipment, ensuring work areas are kept clean and orderly and health and safety standards are met
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 5 years supervisory experience and 10 years of culinary experience
- Interprovincial journeyman cook certificate or equivalent
- Chef de Cuisine Certification would be considered an asset
- Proven record in delivering operating results in high volume operations
- Excellent culinary knowledge and willingness to keep knowledge up to date of current culinary trends and practices
- Ability to coordinate high-volume staff scheduling and balance operations and service needs with efficiencies
- Competent in the use of a computer including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
We offer our Employees opportunities for personal and professional growth, benefits, complimentary and discounted food, free parking and a chance to be a part many exciting events and activities happening in Edmonton.
If this opportunity sparks your interest and highlights your strengths, we want to hear from you! Please submit your detailed cover letter and resume outlining your accomplishments, skills and abilities. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.